Lets talk about this 23:1 rule… Try to put some things in Perspective.
Us Coaches have no more than 1 hour of your time per day. You can’t dispute that fact. And, our 1 precious hour a day with you is not going to change in the near future. I know, I’m sorry.
You all work very hard during your 1 hour of CrossFit time. Again, a fact you can’t dispute. For some, it is the same hour every day, and others it varies, while some see it as a WOD just to get to the box. But that’s OK.
However, the PROBLEM is it leaves 23 other hours of the day for you to mess up the great work that you have done in that little bitty window of time. There are several ways to go messing up our work. Yeah. You can eat tooo much or tooo little, not hydrate enough, or drink too many of those sugar-based non-water beverages, skip the fish oil, not get enough sleep, fail at stretching (hint hint) or maybe you just decide that you want to do your own thing and put in that extra workout down in the basement. Hey lets be honest, whose said they think a 5K will increase their endurance?!?! But hey, who I am to tell you how to run your life outside the box. No pun intended. The coaches are the bosses when you are in our domain. Repeat. The coaches are the bosses when you are in our domain. As soon as you walk out the door, you become the person in charge.
The goal here is elite performance with whatever task is set before us. We want to be better at what we do in and out of the box. CrossFit is about living. Living healthy. Mostly about Living. Most of our goals may be, to lose weight, to lower cholesterol, to lower blood pressure, to gain strength, compete, put 30 yards on our drives, or achieve that first pull-up. All this falls under the main goal of elite fitness. How do we achieve this? Hard work in the box. Hard work out of the box.
You have to make sure that this work carries over to the rest of your day.
1. Proper preventive maintenance. While you are opening your mouth, talking after the WOD, open those hips! …do it in the Samson stretch, do it while rolling out, do it while accumulating time in the bottom of the squat, etc. etc.
2. Hydrate. Drink water. Continuously throughout the day.
3. Eat. Eat. Eat. Clean. No energy in, translates to no energy out.
4. Rest. Proper Rest. 5-6 hours a night is not going to cut it. 8+ makes a happy CrossFitter. In a cool environment, with no lights, and minimal noise, like the whrrrrrr of a fan. Trust this. Sleep like a Baby!
5. Try to stay Stress Free. Cortisol is Bad. Bad, cortisol!
6. Enjoy Life.
Food For thought:
There are a lot of factors that play a role in this path to achieve elite fitness. Which Are you taking them? And since starting at CrossFit Eastern Shore, what lifestyle factors have you changed?